Lukyanovsky pre-trial detention centerin Kyiv can be converted into a hotel. This idea was expressed by the Minister of Justice Denis Malyuska. He believes that the pre-trial detention center, in theory, could be sold like other facilities.
According to the minister, the problem of the Lukyanovka pre-trial detention center is that there are currently more than two thousand people there. To replace this pre-trial detention center, a facility is being built on the Boryspil highway, but it is designed for a thousand people. Therefore, the Minister noted that with regard to the Lukyanovka pre-trial detention center, it will be a question of freezing and changing the purpose of only a part of it.
The rest of the detention center will remain in place for the next 5-6 years. According to Malyuska, they will first close the oldest 200-year-old building, which, according to the plan, they want to turn into a hotel.
The main building of the Lukyanovsky pre-trial detention center was built in 1859-1862 according to the project of the provincial architect Mikhail Ikonnikov on the then outskirts of the city. Officially began working in 1863.
The prison also has a whole system of underground tunnels - transitions between different parts of the prison: the investigative building, the old and the new part of the prison. Inside, the tunnels are blocked by numerous metal doors with locks and special alarms. In the pre-war years, the OGPU prison of the NKVD of the USSR was located here.
In addition to criminals or suspected criminals, victims of political repressions, including well-known public, political, military figures, representatives of science and culture - Maksym Rylsky, Hrushevsky, Vynnychenko - were kept in the premises of Lukyanovsky Prison.